Saturday, January 15, 2011

How We're Doing

It's been awhile since I've had anything to post. Not much to report but I will write "briefly" about an e-mail I received awhile back. Since October, I've gone through a bit of job transition. Part of my transition included a brief stint subbing in the school district. By brief I mean one day of subbing! What does this have to do with peanut allergies?

While being in the pool of available subs, I received e-mails from the woman who coordinates the subs. One day an e-mail came through asking that subs NOT bring any candy to classrooms because of possible food allergies. I was VERY pleased to receive the e-mail for a variety of reasons. One reason: awareness! More people who know about food allergies, the better. Another reason: WHY must we feed our children extra candy throughout the day? Pretty sure childhood obesity is an issue right now. Leave the candy at home.

Very pleasing to get the e-mail but also a little scary. Why did the e-mail have to be sent? Did someone have a reaction? Are substitutes not being made aware of food allergies right now? My hope is that subs ARE being told about food allergies AND that subs are not bringing in candy regardless of food allergies.

Taking Heath's peanut allergy one day at a time is the easiest way to not go crazy but there are times when I can't help but think about the future when he goes to school and all that that entails. Hopefully by the time Heath enters kindergarten, candy will be banished from the classroom! {Ha! who am I kidding!?}

No comments:

Post a Comment